Chesterfield's history is over 225 years in the making.
Chesterfield was named in honor of English statesman, Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield. Philip Stanhope is also widely credited as the commissioner of the first Chesterfield sofa.
Welsh settlers from Pennsylvania and Delaware moved to the region for agricultural opportunities in the mid-18th century.
The courthouse has an interesting history.
Chesterfield's original courthouse was built in 1785. It was rebuilt in 1825. After Sherman burned it, another was built in 1884. It is also where one of SC's first Secession meetings took place. A new county complex and courthouse was constructed in 1978.
In 1865 General Sherman's troops passed through this area and occupied the town of Chesterfield. During their brief stay the troops torched the courthouse, destroying all records.
James Jenkin's site contains photos and more about Chesterfield history.
Information on other historic structures found here.